Thursday, October 15, 2009

Perfect Fall Getaway


On Tuesday, we decided to take a fun, spontaneous road trip! Calvin needed some time to clear his head and gear up to finish writing his paper. This week is the Fall break for the law school, so they don't have any classes, but the first year students have to use most of their time completing their writing assignment.

So, at about noon, I headed over to the law school to pick Calvin up. On the way there, I was listening to the radio, and they announced a prize you could call in to win. If you know me, you know I love to win things on the radio! I have won things on the radio at least 10 times. So, I have had a hard time winning things here so far because I don't know the phone numbers for the radio stations, plus I have to dial the area code, and sometimes that doesn't work out. Well, I decided to try and call, and after a few busy signals, I was talking to the announcer and I had won! I won a $50 gift certificate to this Halloween store here in Durham, and a $25 gift certificate to Papa John's. I was so excited!

We then arrived at the law school and picked Calvin up. We came home, ate lunch, and looked at the map and decided where to go. We headed for Roanoke, VA. It was a beautiful drive, off the main freeways, and through the country. We loved being able to get out of the trees and see into the distance.




As we got in to Roanoke, we stopped for a treat at Krispy Kreme (started right here in North Carolina)! We had some really good, halloween-themed donuts-pumpkin spice, halloween sprinkles, and a pumpkin shaped donut frosted with a jack-o-lantern face. Yum!



Then it was on to our hotel for the night. We had fun watching Aladdin on tv with Camden before bed time. In the morning, we headed out to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was so beautiful! We saw a couple of deer and a lot of pretty trees! It was so neat to be on top of the mountain and look out over the valleys. We marveled at the beauty of God's creations. Here are some pictures from our drive! It was a perfect Fall getaway.












Here is a cute little store we stopped at on the way home to buy some pumpkins! It was such a fun trip!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

It disgusts me how much you win on the radio! :) You crack me up! Glad you could have a fun getaway. My dad served his mission in Roanoke!

Heidi said...

Wow Fun! I'm glad you're taking some opportunities to see the countryside. looks beautiful. Can't wait to see you all! Mom