Tuesday, March 1, 2011

One of those nights...in the kitchen

So, you know those nights, the nights when nothing seems to work out? Specifically, when you are cooking? I had one of those nights last night. The first problem was that I wasn't exactly sure when Calvin would be home to eat, so I was trying to make dinner so that it would be ready whenever he got home. I was going to cook some pork chops with bbq sauce on the grill outside, but it started pouring rain, so I decided to just bake them in the oven.

Well, by the time we got around to eating them, Calvin described the pork chops as "pork jerky." They were a little over-cooked, to say the least. In addition, I steamed the broccoli until it was just broccoli mush. Luckily, the mashed potatoes turned out ok. Then, I had tried a new brownie recipe for our family night treat, and it was terrible. I had decided to be creative and put in some chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and chopped nuts (rocky road?) and that just added to the mess. Overall, it was not my best night in the kitchen.

So, just remember, set a timer, follow the recipe, be careful when trying a new recipe, and if your husband's coming home late, get some take out :)

2 comments:

Marian said...

My favorite method? Put a GPS on your husband so you know when they start heading your direction! I'm sorry those brownies didn't turn out...they sure sounded good!

Emily said...

Ha! That sounds like the story of my life right now (sort of...) I've tried about 5 different times in the past two and a half weeks to make brownies turn out, and no matter what I've tried, they still haven't turned out.